Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Thoughtful WIP Wednesday!

This week has been rather slow as far as miniatures goes. I found out that I have way more time to finish the commission than I thought. Since I'm currently a month ahead of schedule and we have family coming this week, I decided to take it a little bit easier. We also have a big Warhammer 40k game this Sunday and so I have a few Orks to get done, including an objective marker and 3 Killa Kans.


First up is another Infinity figure. This is another Deva Functionary from the ALEPH group. He is about halfway done, just need more highlights and washes.


Two more ALEPH Infinity figures that I'm going to work on this week. These two are probably not going to be finished till next week since I have to put more work into...


ORKS! This guy is the first Killa Kan I'm working on this week. He is a test figure to get the steps right on how to paint. Basically he has a rough light brown base and some quick dark yellow over top. I'm hoping to get him and the other two down into the airbrush booth here shortly to spray the main yellow color, since yellow is such a pain to paint in large areas. 


Finally, I have this little Reaper mini that I've been working on. Nothing too special other than some work with lighting and using a limited palette. She actually started as a test figure for the Knight Models that I worked on. I was trying to get a Chiaroscuro (spelled right on the first try OMG) effect set up to use on the Knight Models, but didn't think I had enough time to get the technique to work. 

The technique is where you paint all the values of light and shadow on the figure in black and white and then you paint the colors over top in glazes and transparent layers. The lighting shows through the colors over top and so you tend to get a higher contrast in the colors than if you painted the colors first.

Ana - The Painting Mum has an awesome explanation of it on her blog. Shes a member of the Chest of Colors team so check it out. Since I like learning new techniques, I'll probably do some more Chiaroscuro tests of my own when I don't have all these commissions.

Alright! Another Wednesday has past. For Saturday I should have some nice finished minis and for next Wednesday I will have some WIP of a few digital paintings. I've had one sitting around that I want to work on and League of Legends is having a fanart contest this month that I'm going to enter. 

Till next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment