Monday, October 13, 2014

Bones Dwarf #SpeedPaintChallenge!

It's Monday again and the #SpeedPaintChallenge is ready!

I got to pick the awesome Bones figure for this challenge and so I picked...


Reaper Bones 77074 Dain Deepaxe.

Rules: 1 figure, 7 colors and B/W, and 4 hours

And here is the turn around of the finished guy!




The figure took just a little over 3 hours and I absolutely love how he turned out! I decided to go with essentially a 2 color scheme though I used all my color slots that I had and it turned out awesome! It looks like there are two lights shining on this guy. A faded yellowed light from the front and a bright blue light from the back. He could be steeping inside after adventuring at night and the moon is at his back. Brilliant!



Paints used were:

Yellowed Bone (Reaper)
German Grey (Vallejo)
Seraphim Sepia (GW)
Cygnar Blue Base (P3)
Blue Tone (Army Painter)
Oiled Leather (Reaper)
Fair Skin (Reaper) 
and Black and White (Vallejo)

WIP



Step 1 - I primed this guy all black. I like priming my Bones figures even though they say you don't need to.


Step 2 - Using the 2 main colors, Oiled Leather and Cygnar Blue Base, I defined the major light sources and made sure to keep the Tan to the front of the figure and the blue to the back. Some highlights were done at this stage on the tan with the Yellowed Bone color.

Step 3 - This is where I used the German Grey to bridge some of the gaps between the two major color areas. This was also the major stage of highlighting and the stage where the Sepia and Blue Tone came in. These pictures were taken after the first hour of working on this mini and I almost said Nailed it! and stopped. After a some time thinking, I figured I could do some more, even if it was minor.


Step 5 - I worked on even more highlights and washes.


Step 6 - More highlights and washes, but I was working on fixing some initial lighting issues and trying to get a little non-metallic metal going on.


Step 7 - I completely reworked the paint on the helmet and finalized the lighting.

Step 8 - This leads to the final image where I cleaned up some last problem areas and made it look awesome!


This guy looks great and was super fun to paint. I also know my next big thing to work on is the non-metallic metals. I know how to do some of it, but it can always use more work!

Happy #MiniatureMonday everyone!

Till next time!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment